Total Pageviews

Wednesday 20 February 2013

Fergie: Gill has been great


ALEX FERGUSON last night paid tribute to Manchester United supremo David Gill  but admitted he had a ‘million arguments’ with him.

Chief executive Gill announced yesterday he will quit Old Trafford in the summer.
Boss Fergie said: “David has been
magnificent. Of course, we have had a million arguments.

“But I always enjoyed them because I know that David has two great qualities  he is straight and he always puts Manchester United first.
“No disagreement is ever magnificent. Of course, we have had a million arguments. But I always enjoyed them because I know David has two great qualities  he is straight and he always puts Manchester United first.

“No disagreement is ever personal with him. He always wants the best for United, whether it’s the players, the training ground or the staff.

“Him stepping down is a big loss to me.
“If I could have found a way of persuading him to stay, I would love to have done that. But he has made his decision and I respect him for it.”
Gill, 55, had 10 years as chief executive a period that saw record revenues but also the controversial takeover of the club by the Glazer family.

He will be replaced by Ed Woodward, who was executive vice-chairman.
And Woodward was quick to point out he sees Ferguson, 71, as a key part of the future after 26 years as boss.
He said: “I am humbled to have the chance to work alongside the greatest manager in the history of the game.
“Alex’s experience and track record are incomparable and I look forward to having the opportunity to support him in shaping his squad and maintaining the club’s position at the pinnacle of the sport.”
Gill  who is also vice-chairman of the FA  will keep his place among the Old Trafford hierarchy.

He said: “I am looking forward to continuing my involvement on the club board. I hope to be able to make a contribution to the game on a wider national and European level.

“ I've experienced some incredible highs, such as the Treble in 1999 and the Premier League and Champions League Double in 2008, and lows, like losing the title with the last kick of the season last year.”

Source: www.thesun.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment